Did you hear? It’s the international year of pulses! The UN declared this news to celebrate the nutritional impact of lentils, chickpeas, beans, and other pulses in feeding the world’s population. If you are already on board with Meatless Monday, you might already be a fan of filling up on black beans. Black beans are high in fiber and a good protein alternative to meat.
Here is my favourite black bean recipe:
Black Bean & Roasted Yam Salad
- 1 can of black beans, drained and rinsed.
- 3-4 yams, peeled and chopped into small cubes.
- 2 cups of cooked corn.
- 1-2 tomatoes, chopped.
- 1 red pepper, chopped.
- 1 avocado, cut in small cubes.
- 1 red onion, diced.
- Small handful of cilantro leaves.
- Cumin for flavour.
- Olive oil or coconut oil.
- 1 wedge of lime.
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place chopped yams on a baking sheet and drizzle your choice of oil over top. Sprinkle the yam with cumin, salt and pepper for flavour.
- Roast until slightly crispy on one side then flip so the other side will cook. Once cooked, set aside the roasted yams to cool.
- In a bowl, combine the black beans, corn, tomato, pepper, onion, and cilantro leaves and stir together.
- Add the cooled yams to the salad and mix gently while squeezing the wedge of lime.
- Serve and enjoy!
Do you like to cook with black beans or other pulses? Let us know your favourite recipes in the comments.