It’s barbecue season! Instead of focusing on your meaty main dish, try making a seasonal side when you fire up the grills. Grilled watermelon salad is a simple recipe that is perfect for a hot summer day.
Watermelon is a vitamin-packed summer food that is low in calories. While most people eat it as a refreshing snack, watermelon also makes a delicious side dish when paired with a few other ingredients and grilled long enough to long in its juices.
How to make grilled watermelon salad:
- 1 seedless watermelon
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Balsamic vinegar
- A pinch of sea salt
- 2 cups of fresh baby arugula
- 1 cup of crumbled feta cheese
- Cut the watermelon into one inch slices. Remove the rinds and then cut into squares.
- Brush the olive oil on both sides of the watermelon squares.
- Grill both sides of the watermelon until the black grill marks appear (approximately 2 minutes).
- Once grilled, season the watermelon with sea salt.
- Assemble the arugula on a plate. Stack the watermelon on top, and crumble the feta over the surface.
- Drizzle with a balsamic vinegar or a reduction and serve.
How do you like your watermelon? Post your creative recipes in our comment section.