“Goodnight stars. Goodnight air. Good night noises everywhere.”
-Margaret Wise Brown, Goodnight Moon
How do you signal your body that it is time to rest? Sleep rituals allow us to follow a routine to ensure that we fall asleep and stay asleep during the night.
Some of the many benefits of better sleep is increased energy, uplifted mood, better focus and memory, and other health improvements. To improve your sleep, start implementing some sleep rituals in a bedtime routine.
Here are 10 ideas for sleep rituals to improve your sleep:
- Ensure your bed is comfortable with enough pillows a
nd blankets, a good mattress for your back, and clean sheets.
- Make your bed every morning so that you want to get under the covers when it comes time to sleep.
- Do some gentle stretches before bed to loosen the body and initiate relaxation.
- Have a hot bath before bed to unwind.
- If you often stay up with ruminating thoughts, journal before bed so you can process those thoughts before the lights go out.
- Listen to an audio book with your eyes closed to fall into a relaxed state.
- Add the scent of lavender for a stress-free space. I place few springs of lavender in a vase on my bedside table and every once in a while, I smell their therapeutic scent. Or, I spritz my sheets with some lavender pillow spray.
- Make your bedroom an electronics-free zone. The light of electronics trick our minds into being more alert and awake.
- Pick up a paperback and allow yourself some downtime to read before you plan to turn off the lights.
- Meditate. Read our post, Meditating for Better Sleep, for an easy exercise you can do in bed.
Do you have any other ideas for sleep rituals? We’d love to hear about them in our comment section.