“Tea … is a religion of the art of life.”
― Kakuzō Okakura,
I am a tea lover. I grew up in a household where orange pekoe tea was in constant rotation. Time for tea was a family tradition, passed down from my grandmother to my aunts and uncles to me. On my 17th birthday, I was given a green tea pot from a friend that I still use to this day. I have taken it across the country to university and back home again with only a small chip in its spout. I have a passion for tea–black, green, white, or herbal.
Now that fall is here, I am making pots of herbal tea in the evening as a way of preparing the body and mind for sleep. Tea is a beverage that can promotes wellness and self-care. Making time to sip a hot cup of chamomile is making time for yourself.
Here are 6 varieties of herbal tea and their properties to inspire you:
1. Chamomile tea helps to improve sleep by relaxing and de-stressing the body. It also relieves rheumatoid arthristis.
2. Peppermint tea soothes cramps or stomach aches, and helps aid digestion. I
t is the perfect after-dinner drink if you don’t experience heart burn.
3. Rooibos tea is filled with anti-oxidants, minerals, and vitamin C, which may boost the immune system and help with skin issues.
4. Ginger tea can help when you are feeling nauseated or experiencing motion sickness. It can also fight germs when combined with lemon.
5. Lavender tea can lift your mood when you are feeling down and calms the mind.
6. Licorice tea soothes a sore throat and helps to break up chest congestion. It also can help ease pain with ulcers.
If you would like to explore more varieties of tea, check out this post: 86 Different Types of Herbal Teas by The Hearty Soul.