“Autumn seemed to arrive suddenly that year. The morning of the first September was crisp and golden as an apple.” ― J.K. Rowling,
As we enter the month of September, the cooler season of fall is around the corner. Autumn brings an abundance of apples–from golden delicious to granny smiths–harvested from the orchards of the Okanagan. One of my favourite things about the fall is baking with apples.
Whatever your favourite variety of apple, try this healthy baked apple recipe:
4 apples of your choice
4 tablespoons of coconut oil
Spices such as cinnamon, nutmeg, and cardamom.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Core your apples with a paring knife while keeping the apple intact.
- Mix your spices and coconut oil together and fill the holes in the apple with the mixture.
- Bake for 45-60 minutes until tender.
- Serve your baked apples with cream, coconut milk, or even greek yogurt.
- If the apples are too tart, drizzle with some local honey.
This recipe was modified from this sugar-free recipe from GlutenFreeSugarFree.
What are your favourite offerings of autumn? We’d love to hear about them in the comment section.
rt. If the apples are tart, drizzle with some local honey.