Are you a fan of pumpkin spice? Everything in recent years has been infused with the flavours and smells of pumpkins and spices like cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, allspice, and cloves. Pumpkin seeds have high nutritional value. For one, they are one of the top plant-based sources of iron. They are also chock full f magnesium, fiber, zinc, potassium, healthy fats, and protein. This recipe infuses the healthy pumpkin seed butter with the warming spices of fall.
How to make Pumpkin Spice Seed Butter:
2 1/2 cups of raw pumpkin seeds (also called pepitas)
1/4 cup of coconut oil
2 tsp of pumpkin spice (cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, allspice, cloves)
Pure honey or to taste
Pinch of sea salt (optional)
- Put the raw pumpkin seeds into a food processor and chop until fine.
- Add half of the coconut oil and blend until well mixed.
- Mix in the pumpkin spice, salt, and the other half of the coconut oil, and blend further until smooth (like butter).
- If the mixture is too dry, add more coconut oil.
- Sweeten the pumpkin seed butter with honey to taste.
- Store in the refrigerator in an air-tight container.
- Serve with apples, toasted bread, or add to your morning smoothies.
(Adapted from this Wonderland Kitchen recipe.)
What is your favourite pumpkin recipes? Let us know in the comment section.