Here are some things to say to yourself when you are stressed:
- This is a moment of suffering.
- Life is full of suffering.
- Let me be kind to myself in this moment.
(From: ‘Mindful Compassion’ by Paul Gilbert and Choden (2014)
To calm yourself:
- Place right hand on heart.
- Place left hand on abdomen.
- Take 3 deep calming breaths.
(From: ‘Brainstorm: The Power and Purpose of the Teenage Brain’ by Dan Siegel.)
Once you truly know that life is difficult, then it is difficult no longer
Joni Eareekson Tada