In the fall, I love to curl up with a hot cup of homemade masala chai tea and a good book. Masala chai is an Indian spiced drink and is a deliciously warming beverage because of its inclusion of various spices.
Here’s how to make homemade Masala Chai Tea:
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom seeds or ground cardamom
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 4 white peppercorns
- 1/4 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 cups water
- 5 teaspoons loose orange pekoe tea
- Grind cardamom, cinnamon stick, peppercorns, and fennel seeds with a mortar and pestle.
- Simmer the milk in a saucepan.
- Stir ground spices and ginger.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer gently to infuse spices in the milk.
- Separately, bring water to a boil and add black tea.
- Once steeped, add tea to hot milk mixture and cook for one minute.
- Sweeten to taste with brown sugar or honey.