This isn’t a recipe for eating; it’s a recipe for making!
Using items from your pantry, you can make easy salt-dough ornaments for the holiday season. The recipe is simple so you don’t have to seek out special ingredients. It is also a great activity to include children.
How to make salt-dough ornaments:
What you need:
4 cups of all-purpose flour
1 cup of salt
1 1/2 cups of warm water
What you do:
- Preheat your oven to 325 degrees Celsius.
- Mix the flour and salt together, and slowly pour in warm water as you stir.
- Roll out your salt dough on a floured surface until it is flat and even.
- Use cookie cutters to cut your dough into ornaments, and poke a hole for the top to thread the string to make the ornament.
- Place on a cookie sheet and bake for approximately one hour, or until hard.
- Once cool, paint and varnish your ornaments.
- Thread a piece of ribbon or string through the hole and hang them on your tree.
Adapted from the recipe at Allrecipes.com.
Once they are dried, you can hang them on the tree or give them as gifts. They make beautiful present toppers as well!