Here are 10 warning signs that might indicate that your loved one is no longer safe to drive. ( taken from: ‘Mind Over Matter’ A Woman’s Brain Health Initiative publication 2016)
- getting lost in familiar territory
- driving too slow or fast, or stopping for no reason
- riding the brake, or confusing the brake and gas pedals
- other drivers frequently honk their horns
- damage (i.e scrapes or dents) on the car or garage
- difficulty with parking
- failing to notice/obey traffic signs or signals
- difficulty with turns, lane changes, or highway exits
- incorrect signaling
- near misses or accidents
As a caregiver, I have indeed spent some nervous moments in the car with a parent. Monitoring the situation using these helpful warning signs helps a lot.
Safe driving everyone!